Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in a magazine a couple of years ago and it is a favorite at our house. We love cream cheese so I usually add a bit more than what the recipe calls for. The original recipe says you can double it and freeze one pan for up to 90 days. I haven't tried that but if you do, let me know how it turns out.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese
- 12 large pasta shells
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- COOK BEEF.
- ADD TACO SEASONING AND PREPARE ACCORDING TO PKG DIRECTIONS.
- ADD CREAM CHEESE.
- COVER AND SIMMER UNTIL CREAM CHEESE IS MELTED.
- YOU CAN CHILL THE MEAT SO YOU CAN STUFF THE SHELLS EASIER.
- POUR SALSA IN THE BOTTOM OF A GREASED 9 X 13 IN PAN.
- WHILE THE HAMBURGER IS COOKING, COOK THE PASTA, DRAIN, TOSS WITH BUTTER.
- FILL EACH SHELL.
- PLACE IN BOTTOM OF PAN AND TOP WITH TACO SAUCE.
- COVER AND BAKE AT 350 FOR 30 MINUTES.
- UNCOVER,SPRINKLE WITH CHEESES AND CHIPS.
- BAKE 15 MINUTES LONGER OR UNTIL HEATED THROUGH.
- SERVE WITH SOUR CREAM, MORE SALSA, OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU THINK GOES GOOD WITH TACOS.
I recommend using cream cheese with chives and onions. It gives the stuffing alot more flavor. Great dish. everyone loved it.
I think next time I make this kind of dish, I will cook the pasta less, as cooking them till they are done (following the box directions) made the shells very soft and mushy by the time they were done. Probably will look for another recipe to try next time too and see if there is one with more flavor. These were kind of bland with just the taco seasoning. Thank you for sharing with us though!
This is really really good! I prepared 15 shells but ended up needing more so I boiled an additional 5 and that was just perfect (I didn't overstuff mine which may be why). I used all salsa because I forgot to buy taco sauce and that worked just fine. Served with sour cream. Yummy!