Recipe by janice brady
This is a very good dinner, I just have it with a salad on the side. I usually freeze it ahead of time so I can just stick it in the oven after a busy day. My DH and DS love it.
Top Review by Megan from Chicago
This version of the recipe appealed to me because it did not have cream cheese. I don't think I really care for this type of recipe with or without cream cheese. I think that more seasoned meat and less refried beans or cream cheese might have been better. I don't want to just pick on this single version of the recipe. This rating is really for all similar taco stuff pasta shell recipes.
- 16 large dried pasta shells, prepared according to package, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageif taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef in large skillet until brown, then drain.
- Add taco seasoning mix and water.
- Cook over low heat or until thickened.
- Add beans and 1/4 cup cheese; mix well.
- Spread 1/4 cup salsa over bottom of each of the two 8" inch square (2 quart) baking dishes.
- Fill pasta shells with beef mixture, place half of the shells in each baking dish, filled side up.
- Spoon the remaining salsa over shells.
- *If freezing, cover with plastic wrap then overwrap with foil. This can stay in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with green onions and the remaining cheese.
- Top with sour cream (It's really good that way).
- Makes 4 (large portions).