Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A great warm-you-up stew for the slowcooker. Can also be simmered on the stovetop. Makes quite a lot. Servings are a guess.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, if needed to taste
- crushed corn chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- avocado, slices
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion and bell pepper until no longer pink; drain.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a 6-qt. slowcooker. Stir well.
- Cover and heat on low for about 4-6 hours.
- Stir again and serve with desired garnishes.
I thought this needed more flavour too. I added a can of chopped tomatoes. Can't get black beans here, so left them out. Forgot to add the corn, but will do that next time. I couldn't stomach the smell of frying meat at 5am, so made this in my pressure cooker, cooking for 20 mins. Will try making this again & add more of the spices. Made for ZWT5.
This was good but not as flavorful as I thought it would be. I followed the recipe as written other then I only used one can instead of two cans of the black beans. Also my can of corn was only 11 ounces. I used 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder. This had a nice flavor to it but we thought it would be more flavorful. I topped my serving with Mexican blend cheese. I froze some for future lunches. If I make this in the future I would cut down the ground beef to a pound and a half and use another bean instead of pintos as I am not a huge fan of them. I would also use medium salsa instead of mild. Made for ZWT5.
Made this for a quick dinner after the activities, came out great - made it with chicken instead of beef and switched to chicken broth (my kids won't touch ground beef - super picky). Put sour cream cheese and tortillas on top - even the kids LOVED it! thanks!