Recipe by Tish
This recipe makes 2 casseroles. One to eat right away and 1 to freeze for future use. Of course, you can freeze both or eat both!
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
This was REALLY good. We all had out doubts.....it doesn't look real colorful. I omitted ONE can of corn and substituted a can of whole black beans, just because corn is so high in carbs (bad for diabetics). I think, next time, I'll add some julianned red peppers to give it some more color. This actually was pretty low-carb, the spaghetti is not the most plentiful ingredient in this. Will definitely make again. Thanks!
- 10 ounces dried spaghetti or 10 ounces linguine or 10 ounces fettuccine, broken
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 2 (11 ounce) cans corn mixed with chopped peppers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup favorite salsa
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers, drained
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to pkg directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, cook ground meat and onion until meat is brown, in a dutch oven.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in water and taco seasoning mix.
- Bring to boiling and reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked pasta, corn, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, salsa and chili peppers Divide mix evenly between 2 lightly greased 2 qt casseroles.
- Package up, lable and freeze up to 3 months.
- To serve remaining casserole, cover and bake in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Top with lettuce and chopped tomato.
- If desired, pass broken tortilla chips and dairy sour cream as additional toppings.
- To serve the 2nd casserole, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake, covered in a 375F oven for 1 hour or until heated through, stirring once about halfway through baking time.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Serve with 4 cups shredded lettuce and 1 medum tomato, chopped.