This recipe makes 2 casseroles. One to eat right away and 1 to freeze for future use. Of course, you can freeze both or eat both!
- 10 ounces dried spaghetti or 10 ounces linguine or 10 ounces fettuccine, broken
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 2 (11 ounce) cans corn mixed with chopped peppers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup favorite salsa
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers, drained
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Cook pasta according to pkg directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, cook ground meat and onion until meat is brown, in a dutch oven.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in water and taco seasoning mix.
- Bring to boiling and reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked pasta, corn, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, salsa and chili peppers Divide mix evenly between 2 lightly greased 2 qt casseroles.
- Package up, lable and freeze up to 3 months.
- To serve remaining casserole, cover and bake in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Top with lettuce and chopped tomato.
- If desired, pass broken tortilla chips and dairy sour cream as additional toppings.
- To serve the 2nd casserole, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Bake, covered in a 375F oven for 1 hour or until heated through, stirring once about halfway through baking time.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Serve with 4 cups shredded lettuce and 1 medum tomato, chopped.