Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great soup for the cold days of winter. It is very filling all by itself, but I like to pour it over cooked rice and add a little extra cheese. About a zillion calories, but in the winter you need substance to keep you moving. I realize we really don't have "cold weather" in Texas, but I don't like cold of any kind. The orginal recipe for this soup was from a co-worker, but I have tweeked it so much that if doesn't even resemble the orginal recipe. I now claim it as "My Recipe". Enjoy!
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 3 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can baked beans (Bush Brand Bold & Spicy Beans)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans corn
- 1 (6 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Brown ground beef and drain off fat.
- Mix all ingredients, except for the onions, in a crockpot and cook on low heat for 2 or 3 hours. (Or on stove top.).
- Add onions in last 30 minutes, so they will not over cook.
I've tried several taco soup recipes and this was the hit for my family! Low fat yet full of flavor and best of all....easy! I put in the crock pot for 3 hrs and I think it could stay longer. Because we don't like chunks of tomatoes, I used one can 24oz crushed tomatoes and one can 14oz stewed tomatoes. Perfection!