Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This thick and hearty "taco in a bowl" soup is always a favorite wintertime meal in our house. Everyone just loves it.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion, fine chopped
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry ranch dressing mix
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies
- 3 cups beef broth
- In a large pot brown hamburger; drain fat. Add onion to meat and saute till tender. Add taco and ranch seasonings to meat and onions. Pour all cans in their juices and broth into pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve in bowls and top with grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and chopped fresh cilantro.
I use a similar recipe found LONG AGO in 1998's annual Taste of Home cookbook. Try these changes to make it 5 stars: sub one can of chili beans for one of the cans of pintos, add a can of Rotel tomatoes, I use a can of "mexican" diced tomatoes instead of the regular diced tomatoes, and finally add the seasoning packets to the soup after all ingredients are combined -NOT to the meat as it cooks. I have never used onion although I'm sure it would be good. Very tasty! A household favorite!
We were not very impressed with the flavor (or I should say lack of) this dish. It seemed to be missing some additional spices, even with the taco and dry ranch seasoning it needed more. It was also on the greasy side even with draining the hamburger. Thanks for posting.
Spring PAC 2008: LOVE THIS!! I sprinkled cheese on the top of mine along with some fritos - AWESOME!!