Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is actually a crock pot recipe that I make on top of the stove most of the time because it makes a quick meal. This is an adaptation of a recipe from "Fix and Forget it Lightly"
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 4 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- Brown ground beef, onions, green peppers, and garlic in a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Combine remaining ingredients in dutch oven and cook over medium high heat for about 30 minutes.
- If desired, all ingredients can be placed in a crock pot and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
This was a lovely hearty meal on a cold winter's night. This makes a very thick soup so I would say it is more a stoup. I served topped with some grated cheese & sour cream and DH & I really enjoyed it. Cooked in the crockpot on low for 4 hours. Thanks for a keeper.