Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another favorite from one of those small magazines at the grocery check-out. Makes good use of your crock pot. :)
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 12 corn muffins
- 3⁄4 cup shredded lettuce
- 3⁄4 cup chopped tomato
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Put the trimmed pork shoulder in a crock pot (3-4 quart size). Sprinkle with taco seasoning, and spoon the beans on top of pork and seasoning. Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove pork from the crock pot and place on a cutting board. Take 2 forks and shredded the pork. Return the shredded pork back into the crock pot and stir everything well. Stir in the Velveeta cubes, and let it melt.
- To serve - split the corn muffins in half. Place the bottom of the muffin on a plate and put about 1/2 cup of the pork mixture on the muffin bottom. Top with a little bit of lettuce and tomato, and then replace the muffin top. Serve with the sour cream, and sprinkle with cilantro if you want.
I really liked how simple this was. I am not a huge fan of corn muffins but it was a nice change from tortillas. The meat was really flavorful and fell apart so it was really easy to shred. I did add a little water when I added the meat I was worried it would be too dry. Will make again. Made for Mini cook-a-thon.