Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Homemade gluten-free seasoning mix for tacos. This is a bit hotter than the commercial variety. You can adjust the cayenne and type of chili powder for your desired level of heat, and add salt if you wish. Makes enough for 4 lbs of ground meat. Use 2 TB per pound. Or, sprinkle sparingly over fish fillets before grilling for fish tacos.
- 6 teaspoons chili powder
- 5 teaspoons paprika
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Close securely, and shake well to mix contents.
- To make tacos, brown 1 lb of ground beef or turkey in a skillet. Add two tablespoons of taco seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/2 to 1 cup water. Simmer until sauce reduces and thickens. Serve in taco shells with cheese, chopped tomatoes, and shredded lettuce for toppings.
If you're going to claim it as "salt free", it should be free of sodium. This recipe has sodium, therefore is not "salt free". Most chili powders have salt in the mix, making this recipe low in sodium, but not "salt free".
Great taco seasoning. I love that it is without salt and gluten free. Made for PAC Fall 2012.