Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from an old tattered recipe book belonging to a friend. She says it is called "Make a Mix" but there's no cover on the book now. Makes 1 package,(increase as needed)and use within 6 months. Original recipe called for 1 teaspoon salt but I prefer less.
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (adjust for taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl until evenly distributed. A plastic bag is great for this.
- Tip onto 6 inch square sheet of aluminium foil and fold to make airtight, label and store in cool dry place. Use within 6 months.
This was a good mix, but my family agreed it seemed to be missing something. Will probably make again in the future - just need to tweak it. Also, wasn't sure how much water to add. (Don't make tacos often!)
Quite yummy! I used this mix last night to season the ground beef for Mom's Enchilada Casserole #241662. I really enjoyed it. I used the full amount of salt in this; also used Mexican oregano instead of the usual. I doubled the amount for the mix, and used it to season 1 3/4 lbs. of meat. Great stuff! I will definitely make this one again. Thanks! :)
I make this but omit the oregano. This makes enough to season 1 pound of beef.