Try this seasoning instead of using the packets of taco seasoning. Makes a great gift too! This not only saves you money it tastes better too! You control the amounts- feel free to adjust to fit your taste. If you like it hotter you can add some cayenne or up the chili powder! Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin, we love cumin- feel free to adjust to your taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion flakes (minced dried onion) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, omit if you like it mild and increase if you like it spicier
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust for your taste the salt helps to keep it fresh when storing
- Mix all spices together.
- Store in airtight container. Will keep for 6 months to a year.
- 7 teaspoons of this spice mix is the equivalent of one 1.25 oz packet of store bought taco seasoning. This recipe makes the equivalent of 4 spice packets.
- To make tacos- mix 7 tsp (or 2 T and 1 t) to 1 lb ground meat that has been browned and drained of fat. Add 3/4 cup water and stir to blend. Cook til water has evaporated.