Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Try this seasoning instead of using the packets of taco seasoning. Makes a great gift too! This not only saves you money it tastes better too! You control the amounts- feel free to adjust to fit your taste. If you like it hotter you can add some cayenne or up the chili powder! Enjoy!
Top Review by Gina Farina
My son asked for tacos for dinner but I hesitated, as I am trying to cut out foods that contain MSG because they trigger my DH's migraines and dry seasoning mixes are notorious for that additive. I was so happy to find this recipe...it was easy, is economical and tasted as good as or better than store bought. I made a big batch and look forward to using it over and over. Thanks sooo much for posting!
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin, we love cumin- feel free to adjust to your taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion flakes (minced dried onion) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, omit if you like it mild and increase if you like it spicier
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust for your taste the salt helps to keep it fresh when storing
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all spices together.
- Store in airtight container. Will keep for 6 months to a year.
- 7 teaspoons of this spice mix is the equivalent of one 1.25 oz packet of store bought taco seasoning. This recipe makes the equivalent of 4 spice packets.
- To make tacos- mix 7 tsp (or 2 T and 1 t) to 1 lb ground meat that has been browned and drained of fat. Add 3/4 cup water and stir to blend. Cook til water has evaporated.