Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was posted per a recipe request. This Taco Sauce will be on the thin side. Canning instructions follow.
- Combine the tomato paste with the water in a large stainless or enamel saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add the cayenne, chili powder, salt, cornstarch, and vinegar.
- In a food processor puree the onion and jalapeno until smooth.
- Add to tomato water mixture and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Once you have reached the hard boil stage cook for 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Let stand to cool.
- Place in a tightly sealed container and place in the fridge.
- This will keep up to 2 months.
- If you wish to can this product you pour the hot liquid into clean, sterile hot half pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
I'm ashamed to admit, that I just LOVE Taco Bell's taco sauce! I like the mild and the hot! Well, I made this recipe and couldn't believe how good it was. I don't like the store bought brands, have tried every one. Yet another "DiB's" recipe that is tried and true, AND VERY MUCH LOVED! I quadrupled the recipe the 2nd time and canned into pint size jars. Janine in Illinois
Very Good! Like the fact that you don't use fresh onions. Has a nice heat to it. I think the chili pwd is a little over-powering, so next time I will probally reduce it to 1 TBS or less.
Really good sauce. I followed the directions exactly, except that I didn't puree the canned jalapenos. I bought the diced peppers, so I left them diced. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks DiB's for posting!