Recipe by evewitch
This is from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Although I am exercising "portion control" by listing the original recommended servings, I have to confess that the four of us finished the entire recipe last time. I am being generous on prep/cook time. If you are somewhat skilled, it should take you less time than that. 6-30-04 Recipe ingredients updated to include onion.
- 3⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (10 c.)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 2⁄3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 c.)
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (approximately)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Thousand Island dressing if you are making it from scratch.
- Cook beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
- Stir in water, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, red pepper, and beans.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Mix lettuce, cheese, olives, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl.
- Toss with Thousand Island dressing.
- Add beef mixture and toss.
- Divide on serving plates.
- Garnish with avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining salad.