This is from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Although I am exercising "portion control" by listing the original recommended servings, I have to confess that the four of us finished the entire recipe last time. I am being generous on prep/cook time. If you are somewhat skilled, it should take you less time than that. 6-30-04 Recipe ingredients updated to include onion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (10 c.)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 2/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 c.)
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream (approximately)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1Prepare Thousand Island dressing if you are making it from scratch.
- 2Cook beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
- 3Stir in water, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, red pepper, and beans.
- 4Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- 5Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Cool 10 minutes.
- 7Mix lettuce, cheese, olives, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl.
- 8Toss with Thousand Island dressing.
- 9Add beef mixture and toss.
- 10Divide on serving plates.
- 11Garnish with avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
- 12Serve immediately.
- 13Cover and refrigerate any remaining salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taco Salads
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.4
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 761.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 19.2 g