Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from a Betty Crocker cookbook - Easy Meals for Diabetes. The recipe called for 1/2 cup taco sauce (I couldn't find this so I substituted dry seasoning and water). Great to pack in lunches if dressing is added later.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 6 cups bite-sized pieces lettuce
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium green pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup pitted olive
- 1 cup corn chips or 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat thousand island dressing
- Heat beans, water and taco seasoning in small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated.
- Toss lettuce, bell pepper, tomatoe, olives and chips in large bowl.
- Spoon bean mixture, cheese and drizzle dressing over lettuce mixture and toss.
- Serve immediately.
This was really good. I didn't have fresh peppers or tomatoes on hand so I used a can of Rotel, skipped the olives, and added a lb. of browned turkey...we ate it more like a taco, but crushed the chips on top. My husband and son both loved this. My husband used a small amount of dressing on his, I skipped that as well... try this. It is fool proof.