Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A nice little casserole that makes an easy dinner. By using pasta instead of fried tortilla bowls the calorie count is reduced greatly.
- 16 ounces ground turkey
- 8 ounces pasta
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375°.
- Add about 2-3 cups of water to a medium pot and bring to boil. Add pasta and cook until desired tenderness (usually about 8 minutes).
- While pasta is boiling, add peppers to a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the pan and add the meat. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring often.
- Add water and taco seasoning to the meat and reduce heat to low. Stir frequently, and let this simmer until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add salsa and peppers back to the mixture and remove from heat.
- When pasta is cooked, remove from heat and drain.
- Combine pasta and meat mixture and place in a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off oven, sprinkle cheese on the top and place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dish evenly among 4 plates and top each with 1 tbsp of sour cream.
- TIME TO ENJOY!
This is a tasty idea that, in my opinion, needs a few additions. Because we never cook anything Mexican without onions, a diced onion was sauteed along with the 1 miniature red and 1 miniature orange bell peppers we had on hand. Used only about 1/2 cup water and a little more salsa. Only used about 1/2 pound ground beef. Added plain yogurt instead of sour cream right to the meat/vege/pasta mixture with the salsa. Kept everything heated on the stove top in the skillet, as there was no need to cook the already piping hot and well done food. Added cheese just before serving. Thanks for sharing this easy, kid pleasing meal.
This was quite good. I had to make a lot of changes based on what I had on hand, but I followed the remainder of the recipe as stated. I used a mix of pastas I had and estimated the amt, used 1 1/4lb of ground turkey, added some leftover partially drained diced tomatoes with the salsa, and used non-dairy cheddar and non-dairy sour cream on mine and regular "taco" blend cheese on my bf's serving. I also used a half package of regular taco seasoning and a half package of Hot taco seasoning. I covered the pan when baking, since halfway through, the pasta was getting dry. My bf and I devoured most of it between just the two of us. Thanks for sharing. I will make this again.