Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is a pretty good "entree" salad, originally given to me by my boss's wife about 25 years ago. Just make sure the meat and cheese sauce are hot and the lettuce and tomatoes are cold.
Top Review by HeidiSue
My friend was describing a taco salad that her mom used to make and this sounded just like it, so I made it for her. She said it was exactly like she remembered it. I used ground turkey and for simplicity I just used a packet of taco seasoning (I am 8 months pregnant with 2 small children & didn't feel like chopping or measuring). Next time I will add the onions, garlic and peppers, but it was still great! My friend chopped up fresh tomatoes, avacodo and green onions and we threw them in before tossing. Because it makes so much we made idividual bowls and tossed them and now I have left overs without soggy lettuce. Thanks for a great recipe I am having it for lunch today!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- garlic granules
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin, more to taste
- 1 lb velveeta process American cheese, cubed
- 1 (7 ounce) canrotel tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) bag tortilla chips or 1 (6 ounce) bag Fritos corn chips, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble and brown meat well in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain excess grease, and add green pepper, onion, granulated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook a few more minutes, and add chili powder and cumin.
- In a small saucepan, melt cheese over low heat.
- Stir in tomatoes with green chilies, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, layer in the following order, lettuce, tomatoes, chips, hot meat mixture, and hot cheese mixture.
- Toss at the table, and serve immediately.