Recipe by AmyZoe
I used sausage in place of the beef or turkey, and I added some refried beans too. This is delicious and easy. Recipe courtesy of McCall's Cooking School.
- 1 lb ground chuck or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces green chilies, finely chopped and drained
- 1 lb whole canned tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 head lettuce (iceberg, Boston, leaf, or Romaine)
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 tomatoes (medium)
- 1 bunch scallion (with green tops)
- 7 ounces tortilla chips or 7 ounces corn chips
- black olives, sliced
- sour cream
- scallion, sliced
- 2 hot red peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-sized skillet, place ground chuck and minced garlic.
- Heat over medium-high heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and breaking up large chunks of meat, until meat is browned.
- Transfer meat and garlic to a colander and drain off and discard fat.
- Return skillet to heat.
- Add chopped green chilies, undrained whole peeled tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and pepper to meat and garlic in skillet.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon and cook over low heat uncovered for about 30 minutes or until most of moisture has evaporated from the meat mixture.
- While meat mixture is cooking, break apart and wash and dry lettuce, using a lettuce spinner. Tear into bite-sized pieces. You should have about 2 quarts or 8 cups of lettuce greens. Set aside. Refrigerate if not using right away.
- Shred cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Cut out and discard core of tomato. Chop tomato coarsely.
- Wash scallions and trim off and discard root ends.
- Chop or slice enough scallions to yield about 1 cup.
- Remove meat mixture from heat and cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Just before serving, place lettuce in a large chilled bowl and arrange tortilla chips around outer edge.
- Top lettuce with meat mixture and sprinkle cheese, scallions, chopped tomato, and sliced olives around meat mixture.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream garnished with scallions and hot red peppers.
- Toss just before serving.