Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This makes a large salad. The directions say that it will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, but in my house I'm lucky if it lasts 2 days. My picky eaters try to eat this up as fast as they can.
- 1 head lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 453.59 g hamburger meat
- 35.43 g packet taco seasoning
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 large tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 453.59 g shredded cheese (I use Mexican blend)
- 368.54 g bag plain Doritos, any flavor
- 425.24 g can black olives, sliced,drained
- 453.59 g jar salsa, optional
- 453.59 g container sour cream (optional)
- favorite salad dressing (optional)
- In skillet, brown meat.
- Add taco seasoning, mix well.
- While cooking the meat, in large bowl tear lettuce.
- Crush half the Doritos and add to the bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Serve with Doritos, salsa, and sour cream.
- You can also use your favorite dressing instead.
- This will last in the refrigerator covered for 3-4 days.
This is a family favoorite
Really nice taco salad. I love the fact it doesn't have any complicated dressings, just basic ingredients and directions. We liked it with salsa and sour cream dolloped on top and didn't feel it needed any extra dressing. I'm not sure about getting 12 servings out of the recipe though. We cut back on the amount of cheese and crushed nachos a bit but otherwise followed the recipe as directed. It made 2 very generous main course suppers for us, plus plenty for my lunch the next day and a bit left over but as a main I wouldn't stretch it to more than 4. If you were serving it a snack and people were scooping it out with the nacho chips it would serve 12 but count on fewer servings if you're making it as a main and not party food.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I used black beans (drained) instead of garbanzo beans as a preference. Many recipes call for either catalina or thousand island dressings, but I prefer the salsa and sour cream. This was delicious, doritos and all! Pam