Supposedly this is the original version of the renown Taco Salad. No Catalina or Ranch dressing. I've included some substitutions, too. Halve for a smaller group...it makes a LOT. One more thing, do a taste test first, but try adding a little salsa to the dressing. It's delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce or 1 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 -1 1/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (try ancho or chipotle)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 15 ounces ranch-style chili beans, drained or 15 ounces black beans or 15 ounces chickpeas
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions (both white and green part) or 1/2 cup green onion (both white and green part)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups slightly crushed Fritos corn chips or 2 cups Doritos
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes, peeled seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1With a paring knife, remove the core from the head of lettuce, as well as any thick ribs. Wash and drain well on paper towels in the refrigerator. Pat excess water from lettuce with more paper towels.
- 2Brown the ground beef with the chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Drain well. Set aside and keep at room temperature.
- 3Tear the chilled lettuce into bite-size pieces and combine in a large bowl with the beef mixture, beans, tomatoes, onion, cheese, Fritos and avocados. Toss to combine ingredients.
- 4Mix the salt and lemon juice with the mayonnaise and stir until smooth. Pour mixture over the salad and toss again. Serve at once. Makes about 8 to 10 generous servings.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taco Salad
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.3
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 708.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 21.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Fritos corn chips