Recipe by SReiff
Deliciously different! The Catalina dressing adds a sweet flavor to this zesty Mexican salad. Tip: To prevent "soggy salad leftovers" (if you are sure there will be leftovers), then store the meat mixture and the chips separate from the greens mixture and toss together when serving at another time.
Top Review by Marie Nixon
The only reason I gave this 3 stars instead of 4 is that I didn't care for the way the meat turned out because the instructions say to add the dressing to the meat mixture after you have browned it. After browning the meat with the seasonings, the meet mixture had a good texture. When I added the dressing, then the meat turned to mush, more like a sloppy joe texture. Despite that the salad did taste good.Good recipe just hold off on adding the dressing until just before serving.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄2 lb tortilla chips
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Catalina dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef or turkey in skillet. Prepare taco mix as directed on package with burger; add kidney beans and salad dressing.
- Toss together remaining ingredients as you would a tossed salad.
- Immediately before serving, add the meat mixture (some prefer it still warm) and the bag of chips.
- Toss again and serve immediately.