Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From my mom's church cookbook. It's a hit everytime, feeds a crowd and carries over a few days really well!
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 large head of lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) canno. 2 kidney beans
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle thousand island dressing
- 1 (7 ounce) bottle mild taco sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) bag taco chips, broken
- Brown hamburger with taco seasoning (don't follow taco seasoning directions - combine together right away and brown).
- Spoon meat out onto several layers of paper towling to drain. Refrigerate until cold.
- Prepare and toss together chopped lettuce, vegetables and drained olives as for salad. Drain and rinse kidney beans with water before adding to salad.
- Just before serving, add cheese and chips.
- Mix together 1000 Island and taco sauce and use as dressing.
- Note: This can be prepared the day before by putting all ingredients in layers with cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate. Add chips and dressing the next day before serving.