Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the one I make over and over.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 14 ounces pinto beans
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Catalina dressing
- 10 ounces Doritos, crushed
- Brown beef; drain.
- Add taco seasoning and some water.
- Simmer a few minutes then add beans and simmer until cooked down as desired.
- Make salad, adding meat mixture and chips last.
- Serve immediately.
I made a couple of substitutions based on what was on hand. Ground turkey was used in lieu of the ground beef, homemade tortilla chips instead of Doritos and romaine lettuce in place of the iceberg. The salad was assembled by putting the meat and bean mixture on the plate, topping it with the cheese, salad ingredients and placing the chips along the edges. The salad could then be transported and enjoyed without the salad becoming soggy.