Recipe by McGelby
This is a great alternative to high fat and high calorie taco salads at Mexican restaurants. If you want more "oomph" to it: add grated cheese and ground chicken, turkey or crumbled tempeh. Also, the beans are really good warmed.
Top Review by KateL
5 Stars, a dieter's delight, also low on the glycemic index! Dr. Weil removed most of the fat, but left a tasty salad, love the beans to add great cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber with the protein. The 1/4 cup of salsa is just enough to season the salad. Remember, most of the fat and sodium is in the salsa.
- 4 cups lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup pinto beans, drained of juice
- 2 ounces baked corn tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup salsa