Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- olive oil or peanut oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons homemade chili powder (, or other chili powder)
- 4 ounces no-salt-added corn or 4 ounces corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, well drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon leaf oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces no-salt-added corn chips or 4 ounces nacho chips or 4 ounces tortilla chips
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add beef and onion, breaking up beef.
- Fry until beef is browned, then drain fat.
- Stir in oregano, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Stir in corn, tomatoes, and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook to the consistency you like.
- Add cheese and corn chips, stirring until cheese melts.
- Serve over torn lettuce and broken chips.
Boy was this good. I used cumin instead of oregano and served it with Spanish rice.
This was the second time I've made this, I skipped the sugar, added some diced red peppers, and used Double Gloucester cheese because it is a much more flavourful cheese than cheddar. I like this salad a lot because it's easy to adjust the ingredients somewhat without ruining it.
Great to find 'non-packaged' seasoning in recipes, especially for those of us who prefer to go lo-salt and no-MSG! Thanks.