Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This salad uses Doritos (tortilla chips) instead of a taco shell and the ingredients are things I usually have on hand. Recipe source: local newspaper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (we like Lawrey's or McCormick)
- ranch salad dressing (we like garlic ranch) or French dressing (we like garlic ranch)
- 1 (12 ounce) bagtaco flavored tortilla chips (Doritos)
- In a large skillet brown ground beef; stir in taco seasoning as directed on package;drain excess liquid and let cool.
- Mix together remaining ingredients (except for the tortilla chips) in a large bowl, add beef mixture and toss.
- Stir in the tortilla chips and toss (or place chips on top of each individual serving).
- Serve with sour cream, avocado slices, and green chilies and/or your favorite taco garnishes.
This was such a wonderful, easy and tasty dish!! I cut the recipe in half added some minced jalapeno and garlic with the meat while browning and then added the taco seasoning. After it had cooked down I then added some pinto beans to the meat mixture. I also used recipe#121276#121276 to the top of the salad along with homemade ranch dressing. DH gobbled his down and we will be making this again during the hot summer days. Thank you for posting. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game 2013.
Love taco salad!! I changed this up a bit to suit what I had on hand and for our tastes! I made my own salad dressing using a combination of mayonnaise and sour cream combined with green chile salsa. We aren't big fans of fresh/raw tomatoes(love it cooked and think fresh tomatoes look so refreshing and yummy), I know very weird, so I subbed red kidney beans and did use plain tortilla chips, but otherwise, made as written!!! Served it with some hot bread sticks for our lunch. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag Game.
Was a nice light and quick dinner after getting home at 7PM from baseball practice! I had some leftover ground beef I seasoned with Trader Joes' taco seasoning. I layered the salad in each bowl; lettuce, meat dressing and cheese (left out the tomato). I ended up mixing some sour cream the onions (to hide them) and some Pace Picante together to make a dressing. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.