Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was surprised to find that there is no recipe for this already on here. This was a staple "fast food" to eat after a night of fun in Okinawa. It is a great alternative to taco salad!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 16 ounces cheese, shredded (mexican or cheddar, whatever flavor you want)
- salsa, optional, however much you want
- lettuce, shredded (optional)
- tomatoes, diced (optional)
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic when it is almost cooked through, or not very much pink left. Cook till meat is done. Add taco packet seasoning. Follow directions on packet as to how much water to add and how long to simmer.
- When meat is done put over rice in either one big bowl or in individual bowls. Top with salsa and sprinkle with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes, and whatever other toppings you wish. Enjoy!
Nice change of pace. I used ground turkey and omitted the oil. I use a non stick pan for frying and often don't use fat. I also added an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, as I found the meat mixture a bit dry. :)
Fun, quick dinner when you want something a little different from tacos. I topped with all the listed toppings, plus avocado.
This is a weekly staple in our home. Hubby was in military for 20 years and while living in Japan ate this often.....Great stuff!