Recipe by Kay D.
This has always been my favorite taco pie. I lost the recipe and naturally searched for it on zaar, but to my surprise, there were no taco pie recipes using a pie crust. I finally found the recipe, so here it is.
Top Review by SweetSueAl
Really great recipe, especially for a work night. I'll admit, I bought pre-made dough and just unrolled it (work night after all). Since the box came with two crusts, I made two pies. The recipe doubles easily. I was worried that the chips would lose their crunch, but not so. It got a thumbs up from my teenager too!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade, or I use Penzeys)
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (your favorite)
- 8 ounces shredded cheese (Cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (approx.; flavor doesn't matter)
- lettuce (optional)
- diced tomato (optional)
- sliced black olives (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- sliced jalapeno (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the pie crust according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add taco seasoning, following package directions.
- Mix the beans and the salsa in a bowl.
- Spread the bean mixture in the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Add half the ground beef.
- Top with half the tortilla chips.
- Top with half the cheese.
- Repeat ingredient layering to make a second layer.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Cool for 10 minutes to allow pie to set.
- Slice and top with whatever optional toppings you would like.