Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This has always been my favorite taco pie. I lost the recipe and naturally searched for it on zaar, but to my surprise, there were no taco pie recipes using a pie crust. I finally found the recipe, so here it is.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade, or I use Penzeys)
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (your favorite)
- 8 ounces shredded cheese (Cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever)
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (approx.; flavor doesn't matter)
- lettuce (optional)
- diced tomato (optional)
- sliced black olives (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- sliced jalapeno (optional)
- Bake the pie crust according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add taco seasoning, following package directions.
- Mix the beans and the salsa in a bowl.
- Spread the bean mixture in the bottom of the baked pie crust.
- Add half the ground beef.
- Top with half the tortilla chips.
- Top with half the cheese.
- Repeat ingredient layering to make a second layer.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Cool for 10 minutes to allow pie to set.
- Slice and top with whatever optional toppings you would like.
This was a really tasty recipe. Like another reviewer, I couldn't fit all the ingredients into a frozen deep dish pie shell. I used 1/2 the can of refried beans and about 1/2 cup of salsa. I didn't do two layers. I pre-baked the shell. I baked the shell/bean/meat layers for 20 mins and then added the chip layer and cheese and baked an additional 10 mins.
This was good, but I had some issues. I used a frozen deep dish pie shell and it was too small. After I put the beans & salsa mixture in the crust was already more than half full. I used a pound of ground beef which I think provides a good ratio to the beans. I let the cheese on top get too brown and it didn't seem as if the pie really got warm enough. Next time I will wait to add the cheese on top. I think I better lay some aluminum foil on top so the chips don't get too brown before adding the cheese. Perhaps I will try a pie crust roll and bake it in my quiche dish and see if that holds it better. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely make this again.
This was good. I only used 3/4lbs ground beef b/c that's what I had on hand. I just mixed the cheese into the bean mixture and that worked well. In the future I'd like to try using black beans with about 1/3 can refried beans (only b/c we love black beans). I omitted the chips since we don't buy them. I used Sour Cream Pastry Sour Cream Pastry. REALLY good! I had made an apple pie with the first half of the pie crust recipe and it was great that I could use the same crust for a dinner food. Thanks for the recipe!