Recipe by Pierre Dance
Another one that lands itself to mixing the night before and baking the next day after work. It also lends itself to what you have on hand. Increase or reduce the chilies to taste,try other meats. You can go anywhere with this one.
Top Review by mianbao
This is good, if a bit time consuming. The suggestion in the recipe to make it in advance is a good one. I made the filling the day before and then cut and drained the tomatoes while I was getting the topping ready. I took quite a few liberties with the filling, using red and green bell peppers, Thai chilies and Tabasco for seasoning, in addition to the corn, onion and beans, along with the taco seasoning listed in the recipe. I wasn't paying too much attention to amounts, so ended up with enough filling for one 8-inch square pan and an 8 1/2-inch round tart pan. The only problem I had was when making the topping. I added one cup of the milk and that was plenty. The 4 stars is because I don't think it would have worked with the full 1 1/2 cups milk. Thank you, though, for a very good recipe.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb diced chuck or 1 lb ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 anaheim chilies, finely chopped or 1 (4 ounce) canortega diced chilies
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded, veined, finely chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix (clone Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 2 cups whole kernel corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans, with juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup Bisquick baking mix (clone Bisquick Clone)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown beef; drain.
- Wipe pan, add oil and heat.
- Saute (stir fry) onions and chilies 'til the onions are translucent.
- Add taco seasoning, corn, and beans, mix well and heat 'til almost boiling.
- Mix milk, Bisquick, cornmeal, and eggs in a separate bowl with a
- hand mixer.
- Pour over the casserole.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes more.
- Serve with a garden salad.