Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a spicy beef pie with taco seasoning and pepper jack cheese topped with a cornmeal crust. I found it years ago in a magazine article about church supper recipes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- canned diced green chiles, small can
- 1⁄2 cup Bisquick
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 4 -5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In skillet, brown ground beef and onions. Drain grease. Stir in taco seasoning mix.
- Spread into greased 8 inch square pan or 10 inch quiche pan. Sprinkle with cheese and green chiles.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients until smooth. Mixture will be thin. Pour over beef. Bake 25 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
I really like this recipe. Made it for lunch and had leftovers for dinner. Have made other recipes like this, but this one is very good. Made for Football Pool 2012.
This had mixed reviews...daughter gave it a three because she felt it lacked heat and salt...hubby loved it and son-in-law (who's a food snob) doesn't give out stars...but he ate three pieces so that means 5 stars in my book...it's easy to prepare...I cooked it in the 10-inch quiche pan and used a whole 8 oz package of cheese...it could use more heat if you really like spice...I plan to use jalapeno's instead of the chilies next time...and add in some salt with the Bisquick mixture...the family topped the dish with some salsa and sour cream...overall a really nice dish...thanks for posting it...:)