Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
DH loves Mexican and requests it often. This recipe is from Company's Coming Greatist Hits Mexican. It's a good way to eat tacos without all the mess (even though it may not be authentic). You can make the beef sauce a day ahead and refrigerate it. Just heat thoroughly before assembling.
Top Review by Vicki in CT
YUMMY! I used Recipe #251169 instead of tomatoes so it provided a great zip. I also added fat free sour cream and omitted rice and olives. Sort of an upscale frito pie :) I also served/layered on individual plates versus on large platter.
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 396.89 g can tomato paste
- 396.89 g can crushed tomatoes
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 9.85 ml salt
- 793.78 g can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 473.18 ml corn chips, broken
- 473.18 ml cooked long-grain rice, hot
- 473.18 ml medium cheddar, grated
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 78.07 ml sliced ripe olives, pitted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick frying, scramble-fry ground beef and onion until no longer pink and onion is soft.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add next 6 ingredients, mix well and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and heat through.
- Layer corn chips, rice, beef mixture, cheese, red onion, lettuce, tomato and olives on large platter.