Prep 20 mins
Cook 32 mins
A different take on tacos.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a skillet, cook the beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Add water and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in meat mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove muffins to a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Top each with salsa and cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
- Makes 16 muffins.
These were ok. I had some buttermilk I needed to use up so these were a perfect fit for the ingredients I had. We thought the muffins were great but having the meat mixed in left the entire package seeming a bit dry. Perhaps they would be better if the meat were on the bottom, then turned upside down to melt cheese over. Also think some cheese folded in w/ the batter would be good. Thanks for submitting.