Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I like meatloaf, my DH likes tacos. We both LOVED this recipe! Found in TOH "Comfort Foods Book **Updated to add -- I have done a few revisions on this recipe to include a different pan size for the "boil over" issue. I have also found that if turkey and beef are combined it is a bit drier, you can use all turkey or all beef it is really up to you.
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed saltines (I have also used panko bread crumbs with great results)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (I use 4 oz can tomato sauce with roasted garlic)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (I use 1 cup fresh)
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey
- salsa, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and additional olives (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Form a loaf and bake in a 11 x 7 pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Serve with salsa, sour cream, cheese and olives.
I can't decide how many stars to give this- it gets 4 for texture but a definite 5 for flavour. We loved the flavourful but not too spicy taco flavour. We used lean ground beef and the liquid did pour out of the beef as it cooked. With very minor adjustments, this is a definite 5 star recipe! Super flavour, and we will certainly be making it again.
Dh made this the other night for dinner and since he doesn't cook much he follows directions exactly. I thought it could have used a bit of salt and pepper. We used super lean ground beef and the oil did boil over in the oven so next time I will use turkey burger or more crackers - maybe even bread crumbs. The overall flavor was good - I will make this again and experiment a bit.