Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe off a local tv show. I have halved the recipe except for the refried beans. The original recipe also calls for a can of black beans and a bell pepper. This is also good with chili seasoning instead of taco seasoning and just cheddar cheese (In fact, I think I like it even better that way because it reminds me of my mother's burritos).
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 2 large flour tortillas (corn tortillas are also good)
- Brown ground beef and onion together, then drain.
- Mix taco seasoning and diced tomatoes and green chiles with beef and onion.
- Cook until tomatoes are heated.
- Place one tortilla in a two quart casserole dish.
- Spread half of refried beans on top of tortilla.
- Layer 1/2 of beef mixture over beans.
- Spread 1/2 of cheese over beef mixture.
- Place second tortilla over cheese and layer remaining refried beans, beef mixture, and cheese.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes in 350º oven.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
This was sooo yummy! I had to make a few substitutions because of what I had on hand. I used about 10 oz of hot salsa instead of the tomatoes and I didn't use an onion separately because if god forbid the onion wasn't mushy my boyfriend would complain lol he's weird when it comes to the texture of foods. Anyway, I also used a whole spicy taco mix, which was more than necessary so next time, I'd use less. It was totally spicy but we like it that way so I still loved it. It was just so great. I'll definately make this again! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Great, easy dish. I used a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes, a whole onion, 2 c. cheese, and a whole package of taco seasoning. I also used 6 small tortillas and did three layers. I threw in some dollops of sour cream, salsa, and crushed tortilla chips (just to use them up) in each layer. It fed three adults and three kids with about two servings left over.
I loved this! It was super simple and delish. I didn't have tomatoes w/chiles, so i used regular and a can of diced chilles. I used a taco seasoning i found on zaar and use all the time. Thanks ThespiSis