Recipe by ThespiSis
I got this recipe off a local tv show. I have halved the recipe except for the refried beans. The original recipe also calls for a can of black beans and a bell pepper. This is also good with chili seasoning instead of taco seasoning and just cheddar cheese (In fact, I think I like it even better that way because it reminds me of my mother's burritos).
Top Review by Nice and Easy 84
This was sooo yummy! I had to make a few substitutions because of what I had on hand. I used about 10 oz of hot salsa instead of the tomatoes and I didn't use an onion separately because if god forbid the onion wasn't mushy my boyfriend would complain lol he's weird when it comes to the texture of foods. Anyway, I also used a whole spicy taco mix, which was more than necessary so next time, I'd use less. It was totally spicy but we like it that way so I still loved it. It was just so great. I'll definately make this again! Thanks so much for the recipe!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 2 large flour tortillas (corn tortillas are also good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onion together, then drain.
- Mix taco seasoning and diced tomatoes and green chiles with beef and onion.
- Cook until tomatoes are heated.
- Place one tortilla in a two quart casserole dish.
- Spread half of refried beans on top of tortilla.
- Layer 1/2 of beef mixture over beans.
- Spread 1/2 of cheese over beef mixture.
- Place second tortilla over cheese and layer remaining refried beans, beef mixture, and cheese.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes in 350º oven.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.