Recipe by katie in the UP
I found this recipe this week in my new Food Everyday Magazine....I doubled it (which is the recipe below) so I could freeze enough for tacos, burritos, taco salads and taco soup!!
Top Review by enigma535
This was easy to make and does make alot. Nice for us. I froze in 1lb portions. This definitely needs salt. Wish I had tasted it before freezing and it really isn't spicy. At least not for my family. We like it but we just need more of a kick. I think salt is something lacking in the recipe though. We aren't saltaholics but even my husband (salt hater) thought it needed some.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups onions, finely chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jalapenos (original recipe only calls for 1...we prefer spicier!)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 4 lbs ground beef, lean (I used 96% fat free)
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes
- coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapenos and seasonings, cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes.
- I placed 3 cup servings in freezer zip loc bags. (It will make 4 different meals -- tacos, burritos, taco salads and taco soup!