Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a concoction we often make for tacos, it's got a bite to it so it's not for those who don't like it hot. It can be used in either warmed flour tortillas or crispy taco shells. It's also something you can play around with to suit your tastes, a little more of this, a little less of that...
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sausage (I use Jimmy Dean or Owens)
- 1 large chopped onion (red onion is fine)
- 6 cloves minced garlic (at least!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lawry seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 small diced jalapeno pepper (remove seeds)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes, with juice,you can also use rotel mexican style tomatoes (dare I say we use the extra hot?!)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (any will do)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced,for garnish
- In a large skillet (with available lid), brown the meats with the next 10 ingredients.
- Make sure the meat is browned really well.
- Add the Rotel tomatoes, chicken broth, and wine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and meat becomes very tender.
- I put a lid half on for awhile and then take it off towards the end to help reduce the remaining liquid.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve in crispy taco shells, or warmed flour tortillas.
- We top our tacos with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, chopped black olives, sliced pickled jalepenos, salsa, and cheddar cheese.
- This is a pretty basic recipe and if I have any left over, I'll dump a cup of cooked rice in and make untraditional stuffed cabbage rolls or even stuffed poblano peppers.
- It's a jumping off point so you can play around with it and the spices to tailor it to your preference.
You are a good Itilan but a bad Mexican. All the spices used are Italian and therefore it makes a great Sauce over noodles it sure does not belong in a taco.
This was very delicious,my grandkids like it hot and spicy.Put it on flour tortillas.I will make this alot.Thank you for an easy,versatile recipe. Rose of sharon