Recipe by *Parsley*
A Mexican casserole served over lettuce.
Top Review by awoer7065
My whole family including my five kids loved this recipe! It was very delicious and easy to do. I did make a few changes, however. I can't have corn, so instead of chips I used flour tortillas. Instead of the cottage cheese which I don't like, I used ricotta cheese. It was absolutely wonderful! My kids asked for seconds and said they wanted the leftovers for lunch the next day, lol.
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped save darkest green parts for garnish
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 16 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) bag corn chips, coarsely crushed, like Fritos
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend or 2 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese or 2 1⁄2 cups any cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained (optional)
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease/spray a 13" x 9" casserole dish; set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions.
- In a large skillet, brown/crumble ground beef with onion, green pepper and garlic. Drain and return to the skillet.
- Add to the skillet, tomatoes, Black beans, tomato paste, water and seasonings. Simmer for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Scatter HALF of the coarsely crushed chips on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with HALF of the beef/bean mixture.
- Top with HALF of the cottage cheese/sour cream mixture.
- Sprinkle with HALF of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat all the layers again, ending with the last of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle top with black olives (optional) and reserved chopped dark green onion parts (optional).
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Divide shredded lettuce on plates and spoon casserole over top to serve.