Recipe by Lyssie71
I was surprised by these little gems. Jim loves them and requests them all the time. It's one of those out-of-the-ordinary foods with a familiar taste. Lower in fat due to baking, and not frying!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup egg substitute (egg beaters)
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 4 tablespoons low-fat taco cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef and onions, and add the taco seasoning.
- Take one egg roll wrapper and add 1/8 of the beef mixture in a line, diagonally from one corner to the other to make rolling the egg roll easier. Top with a 1/2 tbsp of cheese. Roll up like an egg roll. (See egg roll packaging for detailed directions on how to roll your egg rolls).
- Repeat with the rest of the egg roll wrappers.
- Pour egg substitute into shallow bowl and dip all of the egg rolls, coating evenly. Place on cookie sheet that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (very important!).
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until light brown and crispy.
- Better than deep fried and just as crispy!
- You can add many different fillings: chicken or cabbage and green onions for Chinese egg rolls, etc.
- Note: I find the egg roll wrappers in the produce section, where they have the dressings and foods like tofu and the like.