Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Dead simple egg rolls that would be great as an appetizer for a Mexican-themed dinner. Although hardly authentic, use of a packet of taco seasoning mix makes life easy. It's easy to see jazzing these up by adding extras like cilantro, cheese, corn, or black beans. As it stands, it's very tasty, so make plenty!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey (or whatever kind of meat you like)
- 1 (35 g) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (about 4 c)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb egg roll wrap
- oil, for frying
- Finely mince the cabbage in your food processor. Transfer to another bowl, sprinkle with the salt, and allow to drain for about 15 minutes. Squeeze out all the excess water and pour it back into the food processor.
- Brown the ground meat over medium high heat. Add the taco seasoning mix and cook until all the liquid evaporates.
- Pour the meat into the cabbage and pulse to combine. It'll be a reasonably fine mince.
- Start heating enough oil over medium heat that it'll cover the egg rolls by about 1 inch.
- Place about 1/4 c of filling on an egg roll wrapper. Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water. Fold one point snugly over the middle. Now fold the two side points in over the filling. Continue rolling the rest of the way. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling until all are completed.
- Once the oil reaches 350F / 177C, you can fry up 2-3 rolls at a time for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce. Jalapeno pepper jelly, guacamole, and/or salsa would be perfect with this.