Recipe by knobbyknee
This is a recipe that Paula Dean makes. It is good. My husband and kids love it. It is definetly worth trying. When I make it, I don't use the dry beans that have to soak, I just use canned beans that have been rinsed. I also don't measure out the amount called for, I use one can of each kind of beans. Makes life easier. The cooking time includes browning the beef and using dry beans. It only takes about 45 minutes of simmering for canned beans.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried pinto bean
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups water
- 1 (11 3/4 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a large bowl, cover with water and soak 6 to 8 hours, or overnight. Drain and add to a Dutch oven.
- Add everything else to the pot.
- Heat to boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Serve with corn or tortilla chips.
- **If using canned beans, you won't need to let simmer for 2 hours. I would say about 45 minutes or so.