Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 40 mins
Source: Gold Medal Flour
- 1 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- Measure carefully, placing all ingredients in bread machines pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select Basic/White cycle.
- Use Medium or Light crust color.
- Do not use delay cycles.
- Remove baked bread from pan and cool on rack.
- NOTE: This recipe is not recommended for 1 1/2 pound bread machines with cast-aluminum pans in horizontal-loaf.
I was a little hesitant to try making this bread because I don't have a bread machine, but it caught my interest and I'm glad I tried it. The bread turned out beautifully and was really delicious. I mixed all the ingredients together, kneaded the dough very well and let it rise for about 4 hours. It only took about 35 minutes to bake it. The aroma of the bread baking was heavenly! I served this with Beef Noodle Paprikash and steamed broccoli. It was a delicious meal.
This is a wonderful bread! Use 1.5 lb. bread maker setting. The texture is perfect. Most of the time, I don't add the taco seasoning which enables it to be the perfect side to many soups. I usually use mild cheddar cheese but occasionally use sharp cheddar. It is really tasty either way. I love this bread! Am making it tonight as a side for homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. :-)
Made for the Nov Tex-Mex Photo Challenge, this bread is perfectly textured, tasty & would be great w/a Tex-Mex breakfast, taco salad or tortilla soup. I had a slice slathered w/butter while still warm & will try the breakfast option next. The taco seasoning & cheddar flavors are subtle & tend to meld together. You know they are there, but neither grabs your immediate attention. I will prob dbl the taco seasoning next time, but not use a full packet as suggested by another reviewer. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.