Recipe by BlueRidgeMama
Yummy Mexican-inspired casserole. The meat mixture can be made ahead, so that, after work all all you have to do it put it in the dish, mix up the cornbread topping and bake!
Top Review by jpawlishn
Concept sounds great but when you actually combine everything the cornbread and cheddar just don't go together. To me the meat was practically flavorless and I even used extra taco seasoning.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (3/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and drain. Return to skillet, add onions & peppers and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add corn, tomato sauce, corn and taco seasoning. Mix well and cook, over med about 15 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Spoon into baking dish and top with cheese.
- Mix cornmeal, flour baking powder and salt together in mixing bowl. Add egg and milk and then add butter and blend. Pour over meat mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 375°F.