Recipe by Janet Knowles
My husband doesn't usually make much of a fuss over my cooking but after tasting this casserole, he stopped watching a basketball game (gasp!) and said, "Hey! Where'd you learn to make this? This is really good." So, I had to try and put down the recipe while I can remember how I made it. Since I didn't measure anything, the amounts are an approximation but they should be close. This made enough to feed 4 people heartily.
Top Review by Stylin'Dog
Very good, and very easy! Made to use up leftover taco fixings, my ingredient list was a little different, but what a great thing to do with all of the taco night leftovers! My fiance and I both enjoyed this. I'll probably be making this many times. Served with spanish rice, and garnished with sour cream and shredded lettuce (also leftovers from taco night).
- 5 -6 large tortillas or 12 small tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, with water added according to the directions on the package
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb shredded cheese ("mexican-style" works best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the hamburger and drain off the fat.
- Add in the package of taco seasoning with the water as directed on the package Add in the salsa and the vegetables Cook the meat till the vegetables soften and the"sauce" has thickened a bit.
- Spread a little bit of meat sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish then place a layer of tortillas, in single layer over the meat sauce.
- Put a few handfuls of cheese on top of the tortillas.
- Continue to layer the meat sauce, tortillas and cheese till you fill the casserole dish, ending with cheese on top.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake another 10 minutes till the cheese browns a bit at the edges.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving.