Recipe by Little Bee
I got this recipe off of Meals.com and we really liked it! Its very easy to make. It calls for Ortega brand ingredients but you can substitute whatever brand name you prefer. Some of the ingredients say optional but I wouldn't leave them out if it can be helped since I think they make the dish tastier!
Top Review by ~Leslie~
This was terrific!! I left out the olives but did use the other suggested toppings. It is really hot here today and I didn't want to heat up my house with the oven, so I baked them in the BBQ and MAN....what a terrific flavour! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 3:)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ortega thick & smooth medium taco sauce
- 4 ounces ortega diced green chilies
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained,divided
- 1 package ortega taco seasoning mix
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) packageortega taco shells, broken
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped tomato (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup sliced green onion (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
- COOK beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned; drain.
- Stir in water, taco sauce, chiles, 1/4 cup olives and seasoning mix.
- Cook over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- LAYER half of broken taco shells on bottom of greased 12 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Cover with half of meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat with remaining shells, meat sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Top with remaining olives, tomatoes and green onions.
- Garnish with sour cream.