Recipe by Tara
I incorperated a couple recipes for this dish to make the one that had the ingredients I wanted. I really enjoy this one.
Top Review by evewitch
I made a couple of changes, to use what I had. I added a tiny bit of salsa verde when measuring the salsa, because I was desperate to use it up. I had to omit the tomatoes because I didn't have any. I also sliced rather than chopped the olives (the ones I had were whole). This turned out well and everyone liked it. I thought the lettuce was an odd addition before baking, but I used it and it turned out fine. I do agree with MTpockets that it looks like a huge mess on the plate, because there isn't really anything to hold it together. I am not picky about presentation, though.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 1 (10 ounce) candrained kidney beans
- 1 cup salsa (can use diced tomatoes too)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips (the hard ones used for dipping)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (or monterey jack)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in skillet.
- Add onion to beef and sautee til tender.
- Mix in salsa, kidney beans, olives, chili powder, salsa and pepper and heat thoroughly.
- Grease 4 qt casserole.
- layer 1 cup chips 1/2 of meat mixture, half the lettuce, half the tomato and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Again layer 1 cup of chips, remainder of meat mixture, lettuce& tomatoes, 1/3 of the cheese.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of chips and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and more salsa if you like.