Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe posted for future use. It is from Joanna Lund. I can't wait to try this. Typical "Mexican" food won't fit into my diet plan, but this one will fit nicely. Prep times are estimates. The recipe says it can be frozen successfully. Only 295 colories per serving. The Diabetic Exchanges per serving are: 2 Protein, 2 Vegetable and 1 starch.
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey or 8 ounces beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce (one 15 ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups cooked noodles, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown meat, onion and green pepper.
- Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked noodles.
- Pour into a 8-by-8-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Top with Cheddar cheese and bake another 10 minutes or until cheesemelts.
- Let set 5 minutes before serving.
- HINT: A full 1 3/4 cups uncooked noodles usually make about 2 cups cooked.
- To freeze: Assemble as directed. Cover well with foil and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in the fridge and bake as directed.
I'm giving this recipe 5 stars only because of the changes I made. First, I used a whole onion because I love onion. I also only had red pepper so that's what I used. I'm sure it would be great with any bell pepper. I probably doubled the amount of taco seasoning. I also did one cup tomato sauce and 3/4 cup medium picante sauce (thanks to another reviewer for that idea.) I also used a good half cup or more extra pasta (I used penne because that's what I already had opened in the cupboard.) I baked for 15 minutes and then added some leftover canned corn and leftover canned black beans. Then topped with lots of cheese (a lot more than what the recipe called for) and baked it another 5-8 minutes. When it was done, I pulled it out and broke tortilla chips all over the top. I let it sit for at least 5 minutes and it was delish! The only thing missing which I will add next time is some fresh chopped cilantro. Yum!
This was good and easy to make. I did change up the recipe a bit. I used minced onions instead of 1/2 cup of onions as I was making this for my boys. I also used Homemade Taco Seasoning Packet Replacement for the taco seasoning and used the whole "packet". When adding the tomato sauce I also added a bit of water. I also used a pound of ground beef as that is how I freeze it. I also didn't measure the cheese but used about a cup (half a pack). I didn't cook this in the oven but just made it into a one pot meal. I mixed everything in the same pan on the stove. We all enjoyed this for lunch.
I made this recipe and froze it for oacm tag game. Mixed every thing together and put in the freezer. Un froze it and bake it the oven for 25 minutes. It was good.