Recipe by Hoosier Nana
This is my modification of Leanne Ely's "Easy Taco Casserole" see www.savingdinner.com). I usually serve this on Euchre Club night -- I double the recipe, putting it into one 9"x9" and one 9"x13" pan. The smaller portion stays home to feed the children, and the larger portion goes to Euchre Club.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups tortilla chips, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 -3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (OPTIONAL)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- taco sauce, to taste
- sour cream (optional)
- tomatoes, diced (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- black olives (optional)
- green onion (optional)
- jalapeno pepper (optional)
- green chili (optional)
- romaine lettuce (optional)
- Baby Spinach (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Add taco seasoning, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, tomato sauce, water, and black beans.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Fold in crushed chips and half of cheese.
- Put into casserole dish, uncovered, and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Spread or dab taco sauce over top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Top with your favorite toppings, such as: sour cream, diced tomatoes, cilantro, black olives, green onions, jalapenos, green chilies, etc.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a romaine & spinach salad.