Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make these calzones ahead and store in the freezer until ready to bake.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix, divided
- 3⁄4 cup hot water, divided
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) packagedry pizza crust mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- sour cream
- Line small baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
- Cook ground beef in 10 inch skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in 2 tablespoons taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water. Continue cooking 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine crust mix, 1/3 cup cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon taco seasoning in a small bowl; stir to mix well. Add remaining 1/2 cup hot water. Stir until moistened. Cover; let stand 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough on lightly floured surface into a 6 inch circle. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on bottom half of each circle of dough to within 1/4 inch of edge. Top with 1 teaspoon cilantro and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Fold other half of dough over filling; press edges to seal. Place each calzone onto prepared baking sheet. Freeze 30 minutes or until set. Remove calzones from freezer. Wrap each calzone in plastic food wrap; then wrap in aluminum foil. Store in freezer container or resealable plastic freezer bag. Freeze 8 hours or up to 3 months.
- To thaw; place desired number of calzones in refrigerator for 24 hours or until thawed.
- Heat oven to 375*. Unwrap calzones. Place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until crust is light golden brown. Serve topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.