Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (old el paso is great)
- 1⁄4 cup crushed Doritos, nacho cheese flavor (or tortilla chips)
- 2 tablespoons salsa (we love Pace picante sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped jalapeno (optional)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese
- shredded lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced (or guacamole)
- sliced tomatoes
- Doritos (additional, placed between the buns for more crunch)
- chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, working gently, mix ground beef with all burger ingredients except buns.
- Divide the mixture into 4 quarters and lightly form into patties about 1" thick.
- Place patties on an oiled outdoor grill (or you can cook in a skillet) and cook, turning once, about 10-15 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness. You can add the cheese slices onto the burgers a few minutes before they are done to melt if desired.
- Meanwhile, open buns and toast on grill until lightly browned. Place cooked burgers on buns and top with desired toppings.
Wow...these burgers were huge and very tasty!! My hubby said they reminded him of Mexican meatloaf on a bun. I made them as written except that I added about 2 TBSP chopped cilantro to the meat mixture. Also, I finely crushed the nacho cheese chips instead of leaving them in larger pieces like the ones in your photo. I served them on whole wheat hamburger buns topped with cheddar and pepper jack cheese, and most of the other goodies that you listed as condiments. We loved these burgers and we look forward to having them again soon. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!
**Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game**
That's a wonderful recipe!
I still would add some more garlic, at least for the weekend :)
Such good flavor! Like a taco on a bun! I doubled the recipe and used one envelope of taco seasoning.