Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
Remember the 'wild sauce' that Taco Bell used to have back in the 90's? It was spicy hot and intensely flavorful.. I was disappointed when they discontinued it, and have tried many attempts at reproducing it - and I think I've got it close, here.. I do believe this tastes as good as I remembered .. Use of Tabasco is key, so no substitutes - it just won't be the same..
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely minced pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine the tomato paste and water in a saucepan; whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the tomato mixture; bring to a boil, and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator.
Great job duplicating this recipe! It is very close to how i remember it.
Hi Steve!! I didn't know this was your recipe till I was ready to rate it! Great sauce!! I can't tell ya how many times I've made it.. I'm guessing 6 times in a week. Our neighbors had me make it twice. I finally printed the recipe off for them. I made it, as it was posted. No changes. Except for today... I was low on onion flakes.. That didn't seem to make a huge change. In place, I added a bit of onion soup mix (the dry stuff.) lol My DH said this is THE best hot sauce I ever made! *YAY* Huge high 5 to you! Its good stuff.. Sorry my pic isn't the best. I'm lucky I got one. This sauce goes FAST in my house. DD puts it on everything. Neighbors LOVE it. This deserves more than 5 stars!! Thanks for sharing. :)